Steps to Success for Students
The online course will be discontinued July 30, 2023. Please contact us about other learning opportunities.
A 9th grade class built around Decision Skills
Steps to Success is a semester course where every 9th grader learns Decision Skills while adjusting to high school and improves 9th grade on-track outcomes like credits earned and GPA that are shown to increase graduation rate.
Even upon graduating high school, many students may still be lacking in real-world life skills. Study habits and academics are important, but so is knowing how to be resilient and navigate in the adult world. Steps to Success is a semester long course for every 9th grader with practical steps towards improving 9th grade on-track outcomes like credits earned, GPA, attendance, discipline issues, and graduation rates.
The primary areas addressed in the Steps to Success program are:
Through opportunities for goal setting, reflection, team building, time management, and technology and social media awareness, students will use strategies to become self-managers academically, socially, and personally.
Given instruction and strategies, students will build skills for self-monitoring and self-advocacy by assessing academic success through GPA calculations and grade checks, by goal-setting, and by building good study habits and communication skills.
Through opportunities to meet with speakers in different professions, visits to colleges/universities, and through research, students will identify three or more careers that align with who they want to be and what their measure of success is at graduation and beyond.
Given skills for Decision Quality, students will use decision-making strategies to make informed decisions about high school and beyond.
- Freshmen establish a strong and more confident foundation for high school.
- Students learn self-efficacy and self-moderated behavior
- Students are encouraged to engage in school academic and social activities
- Students learn fundamental life skills to take beyond high school
- Students learn processes to handle their new empowerment in new small, medium, and large responsibilities
- Student chances for success are improved
- Students add depth to college and career readiness using a Decision Skills lens
How it works:
- We train teachers in our content and how to deliver the program.
- We provide program curriculum and materials.
- We provide best practices for program delivery.
- We provide ongoing support.